Every culture in history has had a belief in the divine and a mythology to explain the world around them. Angry gods and goddesses might be the reason for a drought or why illness befell a village. If the gods were happy or pleased, sea voyages went well and there was a bountiful crop. In addition to explaining the toils and luck of daily life, the mythology and legends was a way to impart cultural values and parables to the following generations.
- Greek Gods and Goddesses: An overview of the mythology of Greek gods for kids.
- The Olympians: The Greek gods that live on Mt. Olympus.
- The Titans: Information about the Titans that ruled before the Olympians overthrew them.
- Lesser Gods and Goddesses: Lesser gods and other mythological characters.
- The Seven Sisters: The mythology about the Pleiades.
- Characters of Greek Mythology: A searchable database of the characters in Greek mythology and their relations to each other.
- Images of the Gods: Images of the Olympian gods and ancient texts that reference them.
- The Perseus Encyclopedia: The ultimate encyclopedia of the classical world.
- Greek Mythology in Art: A dictionary of how characters from Greek mythology are depicted in art.
- Greek Creation Myth: The creation of the world in Greek mythology.
- Women in Greek Myths: An encyclopedia of the females in Greek myth, including nymphs, goddesses, mortals, Amazons, and monstresses.
- Aphrodite: The Greek goddess of love may seem insignificant when compared to some of the other Greek gods, but she had power unlike any other.
- Persephone: The story of how Persephone was taken to the underworld.
- Artemis: This page tells the origins of Artemis.
- Pandora: Read about the first woman, Pandora, and learn what happened when she opened the box.
Native American Mythology
- Sumerian Creation: Stories of how the world and humanity were created.
- Enlil and Ninlil: A translation of one of the core Sumerian myths.
- Love, Lust, and the Young God Enlil: An analysis of the Enlil and Ninlil myth.
- Gods and Goddesses: Details about the gods, goddesses, demons, and monsters of early Mesopotamia.
- The Epic of Gilgamesh: The epic tale about the part-god king that is believed to be one of the earliest pieces of literature.
- The Deluge: An examination of the Epic of Gilgamesh in relation to its mention of a great flood.
- Inanna: Read about the descent of the goddess of love, fertility, and war.
- Dumuzid: Translations of the myths which involve Dumuzid.
- Enki and Ninhursaja: Read the myth of Enki and Ninhursaja, the earth goddess.
- Ereshkigal: The goddess of the underworld and sister of Inanna.
page last edited by Sue Jones
More Top Links westland chat - roanoke chat rooms - dating round rock tx - personals in omaha - duluth online dating - de men - single women in nashville tn - dating columbus georgia - sioux city personals - online dating in duluth mn - new jersey men - singles in peoria - statesville chat - single women in springfield mo - frederick chat rooms - independence singles - maine personals